Monday, November 22, 2010

A Dream of Grace

A Dream of Grace
Size: 12x17 inches
Medium: Watercolors
Prints and original -here-
Detail closeups -here-

Throughout Asian folklore, there tales of fox spirits. A common variation in both Chinese and Japanese stories is of the man who finds himself traveling alone. He comes upon a beautiful girl, and falls in love with her at first sight. It is only later that he discovers she is a fox spirit, having beguiled him either for her own fancy, or sometimes for darker purposes.

* * *

A dream of mist:
of ghostly shapes,
of sauntering shadows,
beneath moon's pale disk.

A dream of trees:
that rake the sky,
of silent sentinels,
a lattice of etched leaves.

A dream of beauty:
she glides with a grace
of a leaf skirting the wind,
silver moon-touched face.

4 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I love how the foxes leap around her feet and the glow you give to your paintings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,
    your work is spectacular. Every time I see your art, I feel transported into a fairy land. I love your composition.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I just saw this blog, and I´m really amazed. I hope, I will work hard, to become as good as you are now. YOu´re really amazing. Great worjs. Really!

    Liane
    http://elysionstemptation.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Liane! I have a bunch of tutorials here: http://www.shadowscapes.com/profile.php#tutorials

    ReplyDelete