Friday, July 9, 2010

Tam Lin - The Faery Host sketch

Several sketchbook pages of figures cobbled together digitally to get this composition. Fiddling with the size of the figures to get the right perspective and how they overlap and fit together to make an interactive whole.

Then taking that initial thumbnail of the entire composition that I did last week, blowing it up real large and adding these figures. Complicated compositions like this make me really glad to have the aid of digital tools.
At this point I'm pretty satisfied with how it all meshes. I can print this out and transfer it as a more polished, detailed, and finished sketch to the final painting surface. This is still a very rough stage.

Alas...my 30x40 inch illustration board hasn't arrived in the mail yet, so it'll be a while before I can finish the transfer.


To give you an idea of all the different parts that were manipulated together:
Usually to much lesser extents, this is generally how I design all my compositions during the preparation phases.

5 comments:

  1. AS usual : Wow ! I think it's my favorite ! The queen is very beautiful and the composition is perfect. I'm really impatient to see the colors !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sooooo need lessons on how to use photoshop - all I know how to do is 'paint' on top of images, which amounts to little more image enhancement :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just out of curiosity, do you draw details directly onto the illustration board since they don't transfer as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Details that don't affect the composition, or need multiple passes over (like poses of figures and faces) I do directly on the illustration board. Like all the details of the forest and stream and bridge for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks :) It looks great.

    ReplyDelete