Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Last Embers

Medium: Watercolor
Size: 7x10 inches

and when the flame flickers, flares, and fails;
who will be the one to bear the last spark from its grave?
an ember of divinity,
it dares to wink and flash:
a thought
a wish
a promise made
a fragment of the sun
a transcendental aspiration
an incidental inspiration
transformation

* * *

I had some time today, and I felt the itch to paint. I haven't had the opportunity to paint something new in far too long. What I really wanted to work on was my Tam Lin series; however I want to start on the central main panel of the faery court for that first, to get the color palette set before doing the smaller side panels. And that unfortunately is being held up by my 30x40 inch illustration board not yet arriving from misterart.com. That should be showing up on my doorstep tomorrow (crossing fingers) and then I can get started on that final sketch!

At any rate, with the drive upon me, I dug around for something that I could do in a day. I can't concentrate on more than one painting at a time, and I know that as soon as my board arrives tomorrow I want to get started on that one. So it had to be something I could finish today. I found this sketch lying around in my drawer. It's been taped to the board and ready to be painted for months now but for some reason kept getting sidelined. It was originally an alternate pose for "The First Star".

Small, relaxing, and fun to do. Last few paintings (the myth and magic ones I've been posting lately are chronologically out of order here so they don't count) have been purple/green/orange tones. So, some variety here.

6 comments:

  1. A real eye opener. I love it!

    Doreen

    I have your blog linked on my blog. Is that ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh...beautiful light in this one, my friend. I never get tired of seeing your work and it always leaves me inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No complaints from me, Doreen!

    And thank you as always James!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, as always. However do you get this done so quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. no one does blues like you ...

    ReplyDelete