Saturday, February 11, 2012

Timepiece - Sketch


Ready to paint! After a bit of a block, and some false starts.

I woke at 5:15 AM one day last week. Not voluntarily. After three hours, watching the sunrise, eating some breakfast, warming my hands over a cup of tea, I nudged Dana awake. I handed him Claire, and told him I was going to crash for a quick 20 minute nap before he went to work.

I barely lay down before I was asleep. Contrary to what many people suppose (judging from how often I get asked the question), I rarely if ever draw anything that I dream. This piece, however, is from a dream. It was just a flash of the image, but I remembered the tree and the colors when I woke a short while later, imprinted in my mind.

7 comments:

  1. Kelly, Silver Tiger DesignsFebruary 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM

    I can hardly wait to see this finished. I have really loved the last several pieces which are such a departure from much of your other work. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been enjoying creating them in particular as well. I feel like they are a bit of a break out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh - looks wonderful. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome! You're such an inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the same recently...an image coming from a dream and then becoming a painting. A friend, who is working on an album said, "No pressure but if you come up with something for the cover for 'Ancient Ones' that would be great!" I had no idea what I would do for it, stayed open to whatever and kept working on a clock I was painting. I finished that basically and then turned up pretty sick with a stomach flu. I think the lack of sleep must have pushed me into a different place. In the early morning hours it showed itself. It was interesting to have that happen but it is almost completed after working on it this past weekend.

    Love that this happened to you as well and wonder how many artists have that one dream image they cannot shake and have to put down on paper in some way. Can't wait to see the finished painting...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it's always naps where you have the really strange dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally true...and sometimes the most vivid stick in your brain, can't shake it ones...:)

    ReplyDelete